Hiking Toward Home » Hiking In Grace & Capturing My View

Masthead header

Fear faced. It Is Finished.

Last year, I wrote a post on (in)courage about facing fear.

I had been inspired by ย the Emily and Emily to get back to my art of watercolor after a 20 year hiatus.

It took me a long while to start that painting and it has taken me just as long to finish it.

The stretched paper sat patiently waiting behind a door, having been shoved aside by life.

I started with a pencil sketch.

Then sketched it out on the stretched watercolor paper that had stood quietly behind that door.

Fear was ever present that I would mess it up somehow before it was done.

Brushing fears aside, I brushed brilliant liquid color on paper.

It slowly became a piece of art, not just blotches of color on stretched paper.

I am surprised that I like what it has become.

Pressing on, I actually finished it.

Of course it may take just as long to frame it as it did to paint it!!

Is there anything you need to keep pushing through while shoving fear aside?

Are you continuing on to the end where you will find beauty in the finished product?

Thankfully we are guaranteed to end up with a beautiful finished product as God promises to bring beauty from ashes.

He picks us up from the ashes of our sin and turns us into beautiful masterpieces.

We won’t know the finished masterpiece we will become until the end of this life and we step into heaven.

THEN we will be finished products of our Master’s hand.

Is there anything you need to finish?

Won’t you share about it in the comments?

*Linking up with Emily’s Imperfect Prose today.*

Linking up with Denise and celebrating my Life in Bloom!

Life In Bloom

Keep up with Hiking Toward Home through your favorite social media hangout!
Follow on Instagram, Facebook, or Twitter.

Back to the Top~ ~ ~Tweet it!~ ~ ~Share on Facebook
  • BeckyJune 13, 2012 - 2:07 PM

Honey, what did you have to fear? It’s beautiful!ReplyCancel

• JulieJune 13, 2012 - 4:26 PM

Sharon, this is a beautiful post and your painting is absolutely lovely! For some reason, the word that stuck out to me was “stretched.” I know you were referring to the paper, but I definitely got the feeling as I read that this activity stretched you. I smiled when I read that you were surprised that you liked what it had become, because I can relate to that feeling as well. What I take away from this post is that there is beauty to be discovered as we stretch toward the Lord. Fear can be replaced by joy, beauty, and growth.ReplyCancel

• Sharon @ Hiking Toward HomeJune 13, 2012 - 4:39 PM

Oh Julie! Thank you for such kind words of encouragement. It did stretch me in several ways. As I look back at the junky ‘paintings’ I did in college, I am amazed that this has turned out this way. In college I was just throwing paint on paper to get a grade and get through a class. I am so glad I went back to it. I feel like I have a more mature understanding of using color and mixing color and using the white of the paper as light.
      I did find myself questioning the Lord, “should I be spending precious time doing this?” It took so long to complete because I was constantly telling myself that I was wasting my time that I could be doing things like cleaning… laundry… etc.
      I am on the lookout for what my next one will be! ๐Ÿ™‚ReplyCancel

• brian millerJune 13, 2012 - 6:24 PM

oh wow that is beautiful…love it when people return to art….i still dabble, but water color is def my all time fav….you did very very well…ReplyCancel

• Sharon @ Hiking Toward HomeJune 14, 2012 - 9:00 AM

brian- I love watercolor. I’ve dabbled in acrylics but I like the fluidness of letting the color mix on wet paper and it is somewhat forgiving. Not always, but often you can go back and lift pigment off the paper if you put down too much.ReplyCancel

• KimJune 13, 2012 - 7:01 PM

Beautiful painting, Sharon! There you go, I conquered a fear of posting something ๐Ÿ˜€ReplyCancel

• LaDonna @ Santa BesoJune 13, 2012 - 10:59 PM

Sharon- that is breath taking. You have so much talent. For you to not touch something in 20 years and pour that out on pages shows pure talent. I haven’t played the piano in well over 10 years, and there’s a reason. Then again, I really didn’t want to play piano in the first place. I just did it because my mamma made me.

You are an incredibly talented and gifted person!!ReplyCancel

• Sharon @ Hiking Toward HomeJune 14, 2012 - 9:08 AM

LaDonna, I took piano and hated it as a kid. I never became very good at it. After giving my life to Christ at the age of 20, I went back to the piano and the Lord has renewed that area. I don’t LOVE to play but I do enjoy it and if God is willing to use it… I am willing to play it. I play congregationals at church when asked but I enjoy singing so much more.
      In the church we are at now I was recently invited to join one of the praise and worship teams (there are two and we alternate weeks). I had been praying a long time about where God wanted me to serve in this church and when I was asked there were instant tears as I realized God was answering my petition. ๐Ÿ™‚ So thankful for the opportunity to minister through music.ReplyCancel

• CraigJune 21, 2012 - 6:08 PM

beautiful โ€“ really beautiful. Beautiful enough to mention that โ€“ and you might already know โ€“ I have a children’s picture book written โ€“ but I have no illustrator โ€“ and I wonder, if one of my very first readers โ€“ if she can draw, and watercolor, an adorable, cute little kitten โ€“ and an amazing story. Just wondering. If she gets a chance, she should e-mail me. :-). God bless you and keep you Sharon.ReplyCancel

• emily freemanJune 27, 2012 - 6:51 PM

Congratulations. It’s beautiful and you did it. So happy for you!ReplyCancel

• ChristinaSeptember 21, 2012 - 12:10 AM

Hi Sharon,

I just came upon your blog, and am so glad that I did. Your work turned out beautiful. What drew me to your blog is that I too would love to take up water color one of these days.

Also, I am facing some fears myself. I just feel like things aren’t going quite as I had planned. However, I know that He knows what is intended for my life, and with God, I will be led in the correct direction.

Thank you for your inspirational post! I look forward to reading more,

God bless,

ChristinaReplyCancel

• Sharon @ Hiking Toward HomeOctober 2, 2012 - 6:00 AM

Thank you Christina! And thank you for clicking over from whatever led you here. I have not started another project yet… but as you said, He knows what he has for me and I am, in that area, being still and waiting on what He wants me to do in that area next. At the moment I need to get this blog back in order and get back to posting regularly. ๐Ÿ™‚ReplyCancel

• […] topic was facing fear; in particular my fear of the white of a blank piece of watercolor paper that hid behind a door in my home. It was stretched and ready to go but it sat there hidden behind a door for a long time. […]ReplyCancel

• […] must face that old fear again and forget about messing them […]ReplyCancel

• […] watercolor was finally finished in our new home and I wrote about it in June of […]ReplyCancel

Your email is never published or shared. Required fields are marked *

M u s i c