Hiking Toward Home » Hiking In Grace & Capturing My View

Masthead header

Shocked and Inspired By My Own Words

GSDlinkupimage

In July of 2011 a post of mine was featured on (in)courage.

The topic was facing fear; in particular my fear of the white of a blank piece of watercolor paper that hid behind a door in my home. It was stretched and ready to go but it sat there hidden behind a door for a long time. Months.

I didn’t want to “waste” an expensive piece of watercolor paper by painting something that would turn out mediocre. I was afraid to mess it up. It was as if the blank paper was worth more than any efforts I could attempt to make. As if the blank sheet was perfect the way it was and any mark I might make on it would render it “ugly”.

Crazy huh?

The post published before I was informed and so I never was able to write a “teaser” post on my own blog ahead of time to send readers over to (in)courage to read it.

At the time it was published I was headed to Florida for a much needed vacation with my family. We stayed the night at the famous South Of the Border “resort”. We intended to stay there two nights, my husband wanting our kids to experience the junk shops and climbing the big sombrero that overlooks I-95, something he did as a kid with his parents.

While my husband and kids romped in the pool, I sat and checked my email.

It was flooded with “comments” to reply to. After a moment of confusion, I realized that my post had been published THAT MORNING.

I wanted to shout Hooray and Yikes at the same time! I was disappointed that I had not been able to post a “teaser” on my blog but I was thrilled at the response my article was receiving.

I sat down to respond to the comments and as I worked my way down the list I read this:

Screen Shot 2014-01-02 at 3.56.58 PM

I have considered Holley to be a friend since meeting her at Relevant/Allume 2010, the very first one.

For that kind of response from a person whom I admire and respect in the blogging community… WOW.

However, the dark valley of 2011 and 2012 caused me to back off blogging and over time I forgot about Holley’s comment.

When Holley released You’re Made for a God-sized Dream,

bookcover

I was still in healing mode and sat on the sidelines as I watched and read about all the bloggers involved with launching the book and then writing about pursuing their God-sized dreams throughout 2013. I was slightly saddened (and slightly jealous) that I was not participating. Life just did not allow it at the time.

In the end of October 2013 I picked up You’re Made for a God-sized Dream at Allume. I come across a whole chapter related to facing fear and overcoming it.

chpter

I finally sat down to read it in the end of November. One morning while reading, I turned the page to see…

insideQuote

my name and words staring back at me off the page.

Yes. I admit it. I SCREAMED!

I was excited and shocked and overwhelmed all at the same time.

My words. Quoted and cited in a published book.
Not only had my words made an impact when they were published on (in)courage but it impacted Holley enough to choose to make them part of her book.
Although they were “my” words, reading them set in the commentary of another made me stop and read them afresh and gain a new perspective.
It caused me to stop and think about the fact that I had written those words.
Where did that Sharon go?
I realized that though I faced my fear by finishing a particular painting, I had not followed through with another painting. I had dropped the proverbial ball.
My “dream” had become a lot of talk and no action.
In 2014, the year of INSPIRE, I have set a goal to pursue my God-sized dream and paint a whole lot more.
An even bigger part of that dream is to make an income of some sort with my art {painting and photography} for two reasons:
1. to be able to give more to the Lord and
2. to be able to contribute to our household financially, looking toward the future of hopefully buying our own home one day.
Do you have any God-sized dreams?
Have you been pursuing them or have you let them gather dust behind a door, hidden away and forgotten?
And  if your dream is lurking in the corners of your life… what might you do to start on the path of hiking toward seeing it come to fruition?
Share about it here in the comments below.
I’m linking up over at God-sizedDreams.com today. Come on over and read about others who are pursuing their God-sized dreams.

Blossom Bunkhouse

Linking up with Crystal for Behind the Scenes too!

Keep up with Hiking Toward Home through your favorite social media hangout!
Follow on Instagram, Facebook, or Twitter.

Back to the Top~ ~ ~Tweet it!~ ~ ~Share on Facebook
  • Kristin SmithJanuary 7, 2014 - 8:06 AM

Oh I love this story – just love it!! So excited to dream with you and see the wonderful places God will take you in your obedience!! Thanks for linking up with us at God-sized Dreams!ReplyCancel

• Valerie SiscoJanuary 7, 2014 - 9:07 AM

Sharon,
    How exciting! To see how God used your words is amazing — thank you for sharing your heart with us!
    ValerieReplyCancel

• Joanne ViolaJanuary 7, 2014 - 9:58 AM

I love this post! It is so exciting when God surprises us in such unexpected ways. May He fulfill your dreams for 2014!
    Blessings,
    JoanneReplyCancel

• BethJanuary 7, 2014 - 9:58 AM

Oh what a glorious story. I’m so delighted I linked up next to you today and was brought here. Such encouragement found reading this today. I linked up even though I only briefly share what I believe may be a God-sized dream. I’ve had such a difficult time knowing…but God is speaking to my heart in so many amazing ways as we begin this new year.
    So encouraged by all you God-sized Dreamers.
    Blessings,
    BethReplyCancel

• Sharon OJanuary 7, 2014 - 12:04 PM

Haven’t seen your blog for some time. I love it. wow that is a wonderful ‘honor’ to be in a book and quoted and encouraged and wow, God it doing a good thing. Be blessed.ReplyCancel

• J. RaeJanuary 7, 2014 - 12:05 PM

Too cool! What a sweet moment of encouragement that must have been :)ReplyCancel

• Laurie Wallin (@mylivingpower)January 7, 2014 - 6:28 PM

“I didn’t want to “waste” an expensive piece of watercolor paper by painting something that would turn out mediocre.” I soooo resonate with that. It’s probably the number one reason I don’t start something new that requires special resources like that! But I love that your fear in that one area put your heart on paper in another. . . in Holley’s book! How amazing God is to put that desire there, then fill it in ways we never anticipated, and then bring you to a new version of it that you CAN tackle. So fun! Glad to find you through the link up at GodSizedDreams.com!ReplyCancel

• Sharon @ Hiking Toward HomeJanuary 7, 2014 - 8:19 PM

Laurie- Isn’t it ironic? paper unused is wasted and yet… my thinking was opposite, that touching brush to paper would make it “wasted”. Thanks for coming by through the link up! I appreciate your comments :-)ReplyCancel

• Holley GerthJanuary 7, 2014 - 8:32 PM

What a joy to read this post, Sharon! I appreciate your words, friendship and heart so much. :)ReplyCancel

• Sharon @ Hiking Toward HomeJanuary 7, 2014 - 8:47 PM

Holley, Thank you so much for your encouraging words over the last few years. :-) Thank you for stopping over and commenting here as well.
      Keep me accountable and stay on me if I don’t post anything about my progress!ReplyCancel

• SomerJanuary 7, 2014 - 10:25 PM

I so enjoyed reading this beautiful story. Your paintings are beautiful. I am no amazing painter, but I shut this joy off from me a long time ago…I used to paint but felt the exact same way you described you felt about your blank canvas…the ” if i don’t try i won’t be disappointed or fail”…you described my fears of failure perfectly. I am so glad you got to see your own comments published in a finished work, words that encouraged and enlightened some one else that you look up too…wow. I have always wanted to write children’s books…and i have lots of stories…but i wrestle over and over with…forget it, hide it, stop it…Thanks for the Encouragement to pursue the dreams that God shines into the dark of your heart….ReplyCancel

• Sharon @ Hiking Toward HomeJanuary 8, 2014 - 8:07 AM

Somer, Write those books! Don’t shut off your joy, The joy of the Lord is your strength! There is joy in doing what God created you to be and do. Think of all the artisans who God used to build the tabernacle and the tapestries that covered it. If those workers/artisans had not been willing to use their creative gifts that God had given them…
      Thank you for your sweet comments.ReplyCancel

• Christine WrightJanuary 9, 2014 - 12:00 AM

WOW – God is just incredibly AWESOME isn’t He??? OH, that takes my breath away. I love your story, so, so, so (so many so’s! ha!) much!! Girl, keep going. I wish we could have met at Allume – next year. (And my husband and I always make our kids stop at South of the Border and go up in the Pedro’s sombrero! Such a wonderful memory from childhood! Those billboards still make me laugh.)ReplyCancel

• Sharon @ Hiking Toward HomeJanuary 9, 2014 - 11:36 AM

Thank you for your sweet comments. I do look forward to meeting up at Allume next year.
      I love reading all the South of the Border billboards too. I always wanted to stop there and my parents never would. It was fun to wander through all the junk shops and try all the silly hats on. Keep me accountable Christine!! I don’t want this dream be forgotten about and put on the shelf. 1. To blog regularly and 2. to actually PAINT this year.ReplyCancel

• […] can read that whole story here. Reading my words in her book served as a reminder that I had  dropped the ball. I had not […]ReplyCancel

Your email is never published or shared. Required fields are marked *

M u s i c